My 2008 Christmas game wish list

1. Fable II

While I'll be forced to play this on the Xbox360, the game is set to be a fantastic sequel to Fable and Fable: The Lost Chapters. It is an action role-playing game that has similarities in a much more complex setting from games like The Sim. I just hope the vast exploration opportunities don't lend themselves to a lack of item acquisition along the way.

2. Far Cry 2


A sequel to the fantastic first-person shooter Fry Cry, Fry Cry 2 "almost" goes the way of those millions of World War II games that just don't stop coming out. While the original game had a scientific theme to it, I'm worried that Far Cry 2's more "realistic" theme will set it up as just another war shooter. At least it's in Africa this time, which should make this a bit more interesting.

3. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

As expansive as any series has ever been, Command & Conquer has inspired my real-time strategy urges since I can remember. I believe the first time I touched a C&C was around 1998. As with previous premises of the series, time machines and altering of World War historical events is the theme with C&C: Red Alert 3. I love the series, but each game that comes out feels relatively the same as previous. We'll see how this one changes the series, if any. Still, I'm hopeful.

4. Prince of Persia

Another awesome series, the Prince of Persia games take you on a journey through the Persian landscape in the middle-east, with you playing the Prince throughout his alcoholic, girl seeking adventures in the hot desert. What I love about this game is the crazy stunts and acrobatic tricks the Prince can do as you guide him through some pretty fantastic challenges. Add a sprinkling of magic and humor to the game and it's a great bit of adventurous fun. At least I hope this new sequel will be like the previous games in the series in this way.

5. Fallout 3

I'll get my hands on any role-playing game these days, especially when it's in a post apocalyptic scenario. The last game in the series was made almost a decade ago, so the hype to complete this awesome isometric gameplay of Fallout 1 and 2 is at its peak for me right now. However, Fallout 3 is going to be more of a 3D perspective, much like the roaming RPG that Elder Scrolls series is set in. I love the series as well, so if Fallout 3 has this expansiveness too, this will be a great buy.

6. Damnation

I love playing games that display alternate versions of the United States and what may have come about if things were just a bit different than they had turned out in our universe. What is particularly intriguing about Damnation is the way they turn a first-person shooter into some fun and complex gameplay. The terrain is varied and complicated, leading to having to incorporate strategy into advancing through areas, not just mowing down enemies.

Another interesting aspect of Damnation is its gun slinging cowboy style combined with some fantastic 3D graphics. I've been viewing screenshots of some of the areas you'll be able to adventure in and may find this more simply an adventure than a first-person shooter.

No comments: