Following the MMO content release strategy

This is the kind of content strategies I like to see in non-mmo games, like Fallout 3:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201670.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

What we're beginning to see in all genres is increasing support for regularly updated and newly introduced content. I'm not talking about the periodic, once a year expansion you go to the store to purchase, if a game provides any new content at all. I'm talking about the kind of regular updates you see in MMOs on a monthly or even weekly basis.

With services like STEAM and console connectivity to the Internet, it is becoming more "fluid" in how we obtain and update our games. This works the other way as well in how the developers are able to provide us with fresh content at minimal cost. I can't count the times I've spoken with developers about their previous games and how they wished they could go back and provide new content for those that still play them.

I'm sure Indie developers are praising these services for their ever expanding reach into markets that were previously off limits because of exorbitant marketing costs.

The only thing I am concerned with in this model is the continual burying of fantastic games that simply don't get the market visibility they deserve. While providing product lists and easier methods of retrieval direct from the Internet surely helps everyone out, it is still up to marketing to ensure that the game is visible on these lists in some strategic, yet sensible form.

"Never judge a book by its cover". Who thought of that phrase anyway? While I do not exclusively judge a book by its cover, I have a high chance of passing it up if the title is confusing or seriously conflicts with the vague and blurry graphics on the front. And you can guarantee I won't pick it up without an obvious title, no matter how mysterious it is supposed to stand out.

It's really too bad developers often don't get a chance to revisit classic games that still have an audience. Yet another win for Indie developers I think.

No comments: